At the heart of it all is our belief in the ability of opera to tell human stories with power and beauty
A brief overview
New Zealand Opera is the face of professional opera in Aotearoa. Our goal: to bring human stories, glorious music and the passion of opera to all. We produce three main stage productions annually which are performed in Auckland, Christchurch and Wellington. We have three offices, also located in Auckland, Christchurch and Wellington. In addition the company runs a Technical Centre in Onehunga, Auckland where new productions are created and rehearsals take place. It also houses many costumes and sets from previous productions along with wardrobe and set building workshops.
The company was formed in 2000 with the merger of the National Opera of Wellington (Wellington) and Opera New Zealand (Auckland), forming New Zealand's first fully professional national opera company. It merged again in 2012 with Southern Opera in Christchurch.
- 2013: Madame Butterfly, Don Giovanni, The Flying Dutchman
- 2012: Hohepa, Rigoletto, The Bartered Bride
- 2011: Xerxes, Cavalleria rusticana & Pagliacci
- 2010: The Marriage of Figaro, Macbeth
- 2009: The Italian Girl in Algiers, Eugene Onegin
- 2008: La Bohéme, Hansel and Gretel, Jenufa
- 2007: Lucia di Lammermoor, Turandot
- 2006: The Magic Flute, Don Pasquale, Faust
- 2005: Don Giovanni, La Traviata
- 2004: The Elixir of Love, Rigoletto, Così fan tutte, Carmen
- 2003: Boris Godunov, The Barber of Seville, Acis and Galatea, Tosca
- 2002: The Marriage of Figaro, The Pearl Fishers
- 2001: Manon, Viva Verdi, Falstaff
- 2000: Madama Butterfly, Aida, Die Fledermaus
Wellington talent comes home with "the best opera you will ever see"
This accolade for NZ Opera’s Don Giovanni in the Weekend Herald has been followed by superlative reviews and enthusiastic houses for the season at Auckland’s ...
Merry Seduction on the Road to Hell
Let us take poor Don Giovanni and lay him on the psychoanalyst's couch, for he causes many problems in our popular culture now - especially ...