At the heart of it all is our belief in the ability of opera to tell human stories with power and beauty
A brief overview
New Zealand Opera is the face of professional opera in Aotearoa. Our mission: to bring human stories, glorious music and the passion of opera to all. We produce two or more main stage productions annually which are performed in Auckland, Wellington and now Christchurch. Our head office is located in Auckland with a second office in Wellington. The company also runs a Technical Centre in Auckland which has a large rehearsal space, and houses many costumes and sets from previous productions along with the wardrobe and set building workshops.
The company was formed in 2000 with the merger of the National Opera of Wellington and Opera New Zealand (Auckland), forming New Zealand's first fully professional national opera company.
- 2013: Madame Butterfly, Don Giovanni, The Flying Dutchman
- 2012: Hohepa, Rigoletto, The Bartered Bride
- 2011: Xerxes, Cavalleria rusticana & Pagliacci
- 2010: The Marriage of Figaro, Macbeth
- 2009: The Italian Girl in Algiers, Eugene Onegin
- 2008: La Bohéme, Hansel and Gretel, Jenufa
- 2007: Lucia di Lammermoor, Turandot
- 2006: The Magic Flute, Don Pasquale, Faust
- 2005: Don Giovanni, La Traviata
- 2004: The Elixir of Love, Rigoletto, Così fan tutte, Carmen
- 2003: Boris Godunov, The Barber of Seville, Acis and Galatea, Tosca
- 2002: The Marriage of Figaro, The Pearl Fishers
- 2001: Manon, Viva Verdi, Falstaff
- 2000: Madama Butterfly, Aida, Die Fledermaus
Favourite fare for 2014 NZ Opera season
New Zealand Opera has launched its 2014 season, unveiling a feast of favourites for audiences throughout the country. Three works, all absolute cornerstones of the ...
Shades of Johnny Depp and Dr Who
Distinguished conductor and New Zealand Opera’s Director of Music, Wyn Davies, explains why he’s excited about conducting The Flying Dutchman, even though he wouldn’t call ...